2/10/09

Call me crazy!

So, I mentioned on facebook that we are ***THINKING*** about getting a dog. We have tried this before but always with a puppy. I am totally clueless, despite the efforts of many helpers, to potty-train a dog! So, we are looking for a female, small, HOUSE-BROKE dog that is good with small children and sheds very little. Here is what I have found at http://www.petfinder.com/.
This is Gypsy. She's a Jack Russell Terrier who is 2 years old. We are waiting to hear if another family who looked at her yesterday decided to adopt her.




This is Sable. I think she's super pretty! She is a 2 year old Cocker Spaniel. Not much about her on the site except that she is shy! (maybe that means calm and quiet??!!)
Lastly is this cute little poodle. She was picked up by animal control last weekend. They don't know her name, but the site says she did very well with the lady's 3 year old child.
We haven't heard back today from any of these, and my kids are EXCITED that I am even willing to discuss getting a dog, much less actually pursuing the possibility. So, why do none of you have dogs? My kids have been begging for one for years...not to mention my hubby! I'll let you know how things go!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Out of those three I vote for Sable. So cute!!
Why we do not have a pet: we had two cats before we had R. They were our babies! Sammi was long-haired and she kept getting poo stuck on her tail, which she would swing around the house. At the time I was prego with L, so she had to go. :( Bailey was always a great cat, until we go Sammi. When we got Sammi, Bailey started peeing on everything. We tried for a few years to break him of it, and to treat his chronic bladder infections. We finally broke down and our vet sent him to be a barn cat at a horse farm in our area. So after those cats, we said we would never get another pet. The hair on everything, worrying about what to do with them when we traveled, scratching the wood floors, etc. We THOUGHT about a puppy around Christmas (I want a labradoodle), but I would only consent to an outside dog. We don't have a fence yet, and I can't fathom leaving a dog outside in the winter. So we shall rename petless. :)

Melissa said...

*remain petless :)

tammi said...

no way! Kids need dogs! :)
did you know that children who grow up around pets are less likely to develop allergies? And depression?

Talk about crazy...Steve got me a black lab puppy for my birthday last year....2 months before Tyler was born. LOL!! It took me about 2 months to housebreak him, but I was a rookie at the whole "puppy thing".

My vote would be for the poodle mix. I would actually stray away from the cocker spaniel - I've read that spaniels are not particularly good with children and it would worry me about one that was "shy". That makes me think that she's skittery around people and wouldn't appreciate children touching her.

I've heard that labradoodles are EXCELLENT pets (which is why I would look at that poodle mix...even if she's not a labradoodle). They shed very little and are supposed to be great with kids.

Either way...you'll be adopting a pet who needs a home so that's great. :) I won't say that owning Cooper has had it's challenges, but the way that our kids love him and his companionship far outweighs any of the negatives! Have fun puppy shopping! So fun! :)

Heidi said...

I don't know....we had dogs and I have allergies...and I'm not exactly over the top bubbly.. :)

I think labradoodles are UGLY! (Sorry to Tammi AND Meliss) We looked at them b/c of their friendliness and non-shedding status, but they're a)too expesive and b)ugly. I've heard poodles can be a little snippy, but the lady said this one must have been around kids cuz she was very cool with her little girl...and I feel sorry for her! :( We had a Cocker spaniel before (puppy) and I have the most doubt about her because of the shy thing. BUT, it doesn't really matter, because no one has gotten back with me about adopting any of them! My kids favor Gypsy and she's growing on me...ugly, but cute??

rebekah perez said...

awww PEGGY! / abby!

i absolutely loved that dog.

even though she was a little shy

Bethany said...

Ok Gypsy is awesome!!! We have a Jack Russell Terrier and what is so weird is that I wanted to name her Gypsy, but we decided on Domino because of her spots. Anyway, I will just say that JRT's are a VERY high energy dog. Domino is four years old and we have had her since she was 12 weeks old. She still acts 12 weeks old sometimes! She is super good with Logan though and also with Shane when I babysit him. She is often TOO loving and will just about knock them over but she doesn't mean anything bad by it. JRT's require a lot of walks and exercise area, but they are so worth it. I love their energy. My husbands uncle has 2 of them and I would love another JRT but we already have a lab mix AND Logan so I think I have enough. So clearly, my vote is for GYPSY!!! :)